Oh, don’t you just love seven layer dip? It’s an appetizer or a meal, depending on how you’re feeling. Here is Marilyn Zimmerman’s take, which she was kind enough to email me. Thank you, Marilyn!
Seven Layer Siesta Dip
1 can (16-ounces) black refried beans
1 pkg. (1-ounce) taco seasoning mix – I used chili powder, cumin, garlic powder/salt to taste.
1 container (8-ounces) of vegan sour cream – (I used Tofu sour cream – see below)
1 small can chopped/sliced jalapeño peppers (optional) – I did not use.
1 small can diced black olives
1 cup pre-made salsa (any kind)
1or 2 avocados (mashed) – I added lime juice & sea salt
1 cup grated vegan cheese – I used “Go Veggie” – (casein free)
1/2 cup diced/chopped green onions
3/4 cup or more diced tomatoes
1. In a medium bowl, stir together the refried beans, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder/salt.
2. Spread bean mixture in a shallow serving dish about 1/2 inch thick.
3. Next layer on the mashed avocado, vegan sour cream, & salsa.
4. Next, sprinkle the grated vegan cheese on top of the salsa.
5. Finally, top with diced tomatoes, green onions, & black olives.
6. Serve with tortilla chips!
Tofu Sour Cream:
One 12-oz. package extra firm silken tofu, drained.
1 T. Lemon Juice
1 T. Red Wine Vinegar
Salt to taste
Combine all ingredients in a blender & puree until smooth & creamy. Chill until ready to serve.