Every month we have an embarrassment of riches at our plant-based dinners and some dishes are truly unforgettable. January was an inspired month. Below, find your requested recipes for Medha’s Sabudana Kichadi and Theresa’s lovely beet appetizer.
Medha thoughtfully photographed each stage in the process for all you Indian cooking neophytes. This makes her popular dish look so easy! You have to give it a whirl.
Sabudana (Tapioca Pearls) Khichadi
from Medha Kosalge
3 cups Tapioca Pearls
2 ½ Cups Coarsely Ground Unsalted Roasted Peanuts
7 to 8 Green Chilies
½ tsp. cumin Seeds
¼ Bunch Cilantro
7 or 8 curry leaves(Optional)
2 Potatoes, Boiled and Cubed(Optional)
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. oil
Flat Microwave-safe Glass Container/Bowl
Fasting is part of Indian diet. Some may fast every fortnight, some may fast every week. Fasting is not necessarily not-eating-anything. It is about letting your digestive system deal with altogether different food group for a day. Some people eat only fruits for a day, some people only take juices, and people like Parag and I eat Sabudana khichadi. There are other fasting food recipes too, but we’ll come to that later.
Meanwhile let’s make and eat Sabudana Khichadi.
(1) Wash Sabudana two to three times in cold water so that most of the starch goes away.
(2) Most crucial part in the recipe: Soak Sabudana Pearls for about 2 to 3 hours. No, not that simple. Here’s how to do it: Soak Sabudana with “Warm” (Not Hot) water, filling the water until it is about 1 inch above sabudana level. Cover the bowl. Set a timer for 30 minutes.
(7) Layer prepared Sabudana mixture over it. Cover with a paper napkin and microwave for one minute. Stir a bit using a fork so that Sabudana at the center is also cooked and not just at the sides of the container. Don’t let the chili layer come to the top. Not yet.
Thank you, Medha, for that tutorial!
Theresa’s Lovely Cooked Beet Appetizer
Beet Appetizer: Slice cooked beets and spread nut cheese between the slices. Drizzle with Michigan-based Hotel Kitchen Brand Citrette Dressing (available at the Amway Grand Hotel, Russo’s, Kingma’s and Art of the Table) and sprinkle with crushed (roasted and salted) pistachios. Easy Peasy.
Easy Vegan Nut Cheese
1. Soak 1/2 cup of raw almonds and 1/2 cup of raw cashews in water for about four hours. Rinse and drain them.
2. Combine the nuts, 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice, and 1/4 cup of filtered water in the Vitamix. (Add more water if necessary, but I have found this to be the right amount.) Mix it up using the tamperer to push them down into the blades.
3. Add 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and a pinch of cayenne pepper to the mix and reblend to a lovely paste.